I don't know about you, but I'm a bit scared about what will happen to my body as I get older. I've read all about the importance of bone density and muscle mass, as well as how challenging it can be to lose weight after menopause. In case you're a bit nervous too, I'm sharing what kind of workout programs I do, as a personal trainer, to give me peace of mind that I'm covering all the bases as I age.
I've dealt with aches and pains from a young age due to a little hyper-mobility, so I've been thinking about these things for a long time.
Here's what my WELL RESEARCHED weekly routine looks like this month:
- I do two pretty intense full-body workouts that include resistance training, core exercises, and a bit of cardio.
- I average 7000 steps a day.
AND THAT'S ALL.
Last month, my weekly routine looked like this:
- 1 run
- 1 core workout
- 1 upper body workout
- 1 yard work session
- An average of 7500 steps a day
(I can create a program for you inside 1:1 Personal Training or Buddy Personal Training).
If you want to create a DIY exercise program that supports aging, here are the most important elements to include:
- Resistance training (along with increased protein intake) to build muscle mass
- 'Core proper' training* See below.
- Daily activity, such as steps, yard work, or light aerobic exercises
- Management of posture, misalignment, and aches and pains. By including mobility drills, stretches, and self-myofascial release (I usually incorporate these into my warm-ups and cool-downs).
I understand this may seem like a lot. Do you have any questions? Feel free to send me a message. It's always helpful to know what you would like to hear more about in these emails.
I love resistance training because it helps me feel toned and maintain muscle mass, which is essential for keeping my body looking young!
What I mean by resistance training, is adding resistance using dumbbells, resistance bands, or utilizing body-weight exercises like squats or planks.
I value muscles because they will protect me against becoming frail, and they help me burn fat 24 hours a day! They have all these other awesome benefits too, not least of which is feeling strong and confident. I don’t lift heavy and am not trying to look buff. I just do what I need to do to stay healthy.
As for core workouts, the fun thing about doing the right ab exercises is that they switch on the muscles that hold everything in and make my belly look flatter. It's like having a hidden corset!
* I focus on "core proper" workouts, as I like to call them because they involve abdominal muscles, glutes, lower back, hips, and even the inner thighs. The main reason I prioritize core workouts is for stability, so I don’t get as many backaches and can avoid other potential injuries that could make it difficult to exercise.
Oh and active glutes mean no flat butt!
And yes, I can create a program for you. I'm currently offering Buddy Training which is you and a friend plus me or one-on-one Personal Training.
If you have any questions about working with me send a message or book a call.
Clara Depont is a certified personal trainer at www.claradepont.com where she trains women in their 50s and 60s. When she’s not writing blogs on how to stay vibrant, fit and happy she’s traveling in search of a forest or a sexy coastline. You can get to know her best through Weekly Emails, Instagram or Facebook. She is British and lives in New Mexico.
Get These Posts Straight to Your Inbox in a Weekly Email